> Subject: RE: [computer-go] 19x19 CGOS> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > On Sun,
> 2007-10-28 at 11:54 +0100, Edward de Grijs wrote:> > Hi all,> > For CGOS
> 19x19 I prefer a short time control (10min/game) because:> > 1) More quickly
> a more accurate rating can be established.> > I agree with Don. 10 minutes
> sudden death is brutally short for 19x19.> You are limiting the pool and
> strength of programs available for CGOS.

Hi, maybe so, but can you name some programs which cannot cope
with 10 minutes thinking time for 19x19?
Note that my own program is a MC program which will play weaker
in relation to for instance gnugo which the shorter thinking time, but
I find that not important because as a programmer I want to see
the relative progress over time.

> If all you want is a quick and dirty rating for minor updates, why don't> you
> just run your program against Gnu Go and/or MoGo at fast time> settings on
> your own machine? Then when you think you have a stable and> significant
> improvement, run your program on CGOS for a beefier test?> This is how MoGo
> achieved dominance in 9x9.

This is just what I do with about 1 minute for each 13x13 game :-)
In the past it happened that there were so many MoGo versions running
on CGOS that it was questioned here in this mailing list if this could be
reduced to create more diversity, if I remember this correctly.
So CGOS was used by the MoGo team to get in impression about the
rating of different updates in relation other programs then gnugo.
And diversity is also the reason I like to test on CGOS.
If it takes to long to establish a rating on CGOS I more often will use
my own pool of programs (only gnugo for now) but then with different
programs available, instead of establish a rating on CGOS which
takes about 120 games or about 60 hours (estimation) of computer
time.

Maybe I am confused about the goals of CGOS? I thought that
programmers could use it to get a good impression of improvements
over time.
And I also like to see the progress of other programs over time.
I think this is also interesting to see for others.

Edward.