I think I agree with Ed, but I also see and appreciate the arguments you
give as well.  I also like to watch CGOS games to evaluate my bot, but 1
hour per game is somewhat past my attention span (for real go games
too).

In all likelihood, I'll probably stick to 9x9 for most of my stuff
(largest reason, games finish faster), and only switch to 19x19 when I'm
good enough at the basics to be near the top of 9x9.

If too many of us do that, 19x19 may suffer a similar fate to what it
did in the past (that might not be true with Many Faces and others
joining this time around).  I think the idea of multiplexing in many 9x9
games between a few 19x19 games is a good feature that I'd likely take
advantage of...  Probably not enough to get my bot out of the yellow,
but enough to get a flavor of how it performs on 19x19.