On Jan 18, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Nick Wedd wrote:
The Formal/Open restriction was created to encourage commercial programs to compete. These programs' authors were wary of entering them in events in which they might have to play a whole bunch of GNU Go versions, so the Formal division was set up with the restriction that no more than one copy of GNU Go (or of anything else) could compete. But this has had only limited success in attracting entries from commercial programs.

So the commercial programs are not showing anyway, what about
the 2nd reason of having 2 division: how many GNUGO-clones are
there typically; would it really be a problem?

Christoph

ps. Like Jason I will send my vote separately, after the weekend.