I wish I had named the weakest players _00 instead of _01 and expressed
everything as you are suggesting, it would indeed be clearer.

I could actually fix this by reprogramming the scripts without changing
the running programs.   If I get a burst of energy perhaps ...

The tarball is slightly interesting.   I have it so that you untar into
a directory,  run a script and there is nothing left to have to do -
every hour a summary of the results so far is ftp'd to my computer.
This is so others can help me with the study.    You can stop or restart
the script at any time.

So far, I am running two instances and I am running another instance on
a friends computer remotely.

Here is a simple riddle which I had to solve but made me think for a
moment:

It involves how to keep track of various versions of the result files
which each user would send me every hour.   Do you put a version number
on it?   How do you track which file belongs to which user and which is
the latest version without mixing things up and duplicating data?

My first reaction was to somehow label or stamp each file, perhaps with
the hostname or something and a version number.    But none of this is
necessary.

- Don