the general idea is that if the ko represents something of value X,
then making threats of value > X will force your opponent to answer,
and if he does not have as many threats of value > X as you do, then
you can eventually win the ko fight (by filling the ko) and gain X-(value of
sente) points, or have a threat unanswered and gain (> X -  X) points,
along with
possibly taking sente (which could be worth something near to X, but is
probably smaller).

this is really relevant when X is large, or when there are multiple kos on
the board of varying values.

important kos are often at a critical connection point for one or both
players, or at a critical eyespace (such as in the corner or along the edge)

strong players can crush weaker players simply by starting kos in
important places because they know that they can win the ko or gain
points in compensation for starting a ko, since ko fights are generally
very hard for weaker players, who usually misjudge the value of ko
threats, remove ko threats early in the game for no good reason, or
have difficulty finding (or creating a sequence of!) reasonably-valued
ko threats.

s.