From: Christian Nilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 2:46 pm
Subject: Re: [computer-go] What Do You Need Most?

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Jason House
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2008, at 6:55 PM, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I think someone already has a website somewhere where they try to rank
>> bots based on KGS games.
>
> I'm pretty sure the site stopped doing rankings when KGS moved to gokgs.com

I'm afraid I am responsible for that awful page. :)

The move to gokgs.com also brought some changes to the structure of the game
archives ( I basically downloaded the game history of each Bot each
hour or so and
grabbed the data from it ) . I never liked the ugly hack I made into
that page and
the changes made to KGS definitely put a stop to my motivation...

Collecting the data from KGS archives isn't all that hard, although
I'd expect direct
access to the database would be easier. Getting that kind of access is
probably not
going to happen...

/Christian

>> If you can figure out how to make it
>> schedule games fairly and consistently then go for it.
>
> I doubt you'd get the CGOS style for either of these out of the box.
>
> Scheduling for automatch is likely a first-come, first-serve basis, probably
> with some kind of anti-repeat feature. Having engines reconnect at the start
> of a round could help fairness issues. Randomized connection times could be
> helpful too.
>
> KGS would limit games to within 9 stones and would automatically give
> handicap, but I consider that a good thing.
>
> Obviously, the more wms helps (or lets us provide code, the better things
> will be. I doubt we'd get anywhere without Nick Wedd backing the idea, and
> he probably wouldn't if you don't. A KGS alternative may never be as good as
> a custom computer go server, but if it's close, it has other side
> benefits... Game caches, wider human audiences, potential integration with
> human play, etc
>

>> I want to be
>> able to put my bot on line,  leave it alone for a day or more,  and know
>> it will play only other computers under a consistent rule set and get a
>> ranking.  Also I w
ant to know that you can't just disconnect and to
>> abort lost games.  I don't want the same player playing it 20 games in a
>> row and so on.   If you can get all that to happen without WMS support,
>> then I'm definitely interested.
>>

>> - Don
>>

>> On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 18:20 -0400, Jason House wrote:
>>>
>>> Where there's a will, there's a way. It may not be hard to use auto
>>> match with the self-proclamed bot ranks as a first step approximation.
>>> All that's needed for that is to allow bots to be paired against each
>>> other. Ratings could be computed offline and used by a kgsGtp wrapper
>>> to update the self-proclaimed ratings between games.
>>>
>>> Everything else could be incremental tweaks as issues are identified.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

ets of whole-board positions (9x9 and 19x19).

darrendev.blogspot.com/ (blog on php, flash, i18n,