Ok,  I resolved what I believe is the problem, it's an interface issue.

I'm now testing komi 3.5 to see what happens.   If 4.0 is the correct
komi, we should expect to see black win the majority of the games.    If
this happens I'll try switching to 4.5 komi.   If white then wins,  it
will be empirical evidence that 4.0 is indeed the correct komi.

- Don