Almost any strategy other than playing out all legal moves
involves a lot of hand waving that is unlikely to be
accepted as a proof.  There are just too many cases where
a pitch inside a captured space has global effects.

Completely solving small goboards seems like a strange quest to me.
Certainly there is no hope of scaling this upwards, so what's the point?
When nine men's morris was solved, I thought this was interesting, but tiny go boards just don't make my blood boil. But what I do find interesting about this, is the question of terminating playouts. This is relevant for large boards also. And somehow I don't ever see comments anywhere suggesting that this could be a problem. So what I'd like to know is: is this so trivial that no one ever mentions it, or are the heuristics that programs use to terminate playouts so obscure that they are too embarrasing to mention?

Stefan Kaitschick