Generally, the playout stops when there are no more "valid" moves remaining. Where "valid" means not playing inside 1-point eye. You can also terminate a playout if one player is winning by a large margin (known as the mercy rule). And you must set a max playout length because some games will go on forever without superko checking. This is comparatively rare, so it doesn't really matter how you handle that case. You could ignore the playout or assign a random result or count the stones, etc.

Stefan Kaitschick wrote:
Almost any strategy other than playing out all legal moves
involves a lot of hand waving that is unlikely to be
accepted as a proof.  There are just too many cases where
a pitch inside a captured space has global effects.

Completely solving small goboards seems like a strange quest to me.
Certainly there is no hope of scaling this upwards, so what's the point?
When nine men's morris was solved, I thought this was interesting, but tiny go boards just don't make my blood boil. But what I do find interesting about this, is the question of terminating playouts. This is relevant for large boards also. And somehow I don't ever see comments anywhere suggesting that this could be a problem. So what I'd like to know is: is this so trivial that no one ever mentions it, or are the heuristics that programs use to terminate playouts so obscure that they are too embarrasing to mention?

Stefan Kaitschick