On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 03:45:47PM +0100, Stefan Kaitschick wrote:
> Last move info is a strange beast, isn't it? I mean, except for ko
> captures, it doesn't really add information to the position. The correct
> prediction rate is such an obvious metric, but maybe prediction shouldn't
> be improved at any price. To a certain degree, last move info is a kind of
> self-delusion. A predictor that does well without it should be a lot more
> robust, even if the percentages are poorer.

Let's be pragmatic - humans heavily use the information about the last
move too.  If they take a while, they don't need to know the last move
of the opponent when reviewing a position, but when reading a tactical
sequence the previous move in the sequence is essential piece of
information.

--
                                Petr Baudis
        If you do not work on an important problem, it's unlikely