>It's been slow since I first installed it (and had no cache).  What do you
>mean by deleting preferences?  If it's under tools/options, you can't
>simply delete them all.  You have to choose something or another, right?

I Googled on "firefox slow startup" and found loads of suggestions.

One was to start in safe mode (firefox.exe -safe-mode) to see if you were
being slowed down by something that was loading at startup.

I have seen cases where a problem in a preference file would slow startup
as the program tried to deal with the problem. Deleting the file(s) gets
you back to the default settings. Even if you did not ever change the
settings, you could have started with a bad file caused by some random
glitch.

Another thing to do is check system log files. Often you'll see a string
of messages that can point you in the right direction.

My FireFox has many extensions so these all have to load at startup. Even
with all this I don't find the startup to be slow.