>What I don't want is the government making the choice about who gets
>what.

Why do we need a government? Imagine what your school would be like if no
one was in charge. Each class would make its own rules. Who gets to use
the gym if two classes want to use it at the same time? Who would clean
the classrooms? Who decides if you learn about Mars or play kickball?
Sounds confusing, right? This is why schools have people who are in
charge, such as the principal, administrators, teachers, and staff. Our
nation has people who are in charge and they make up the government.

http://bensguide.gpo.gov/k-2/government/index.html