Who does, or does not, get to keep bees (see the last item on the list) is beside the point.

Organization is the main point.

DRIVING was mentioned on this list. You wouldn't have interstate highways, for example, without a coast-to-coast government ORGANIZING the thing, to get it built in the first place. And, of course, making regulations about how to do it (e.g. standards for the concrete that goes into the road) and what to do with the project when it's finished (e.g. you can't get totally wasted on alcohol and drive on it, you can't drive at 100 mph, etc.).

Get rid of government organization, oversight and regulation and just see how long the interstate highways last.

I could cite more examples all day, but I've got other things that have to get done this weekend.

Yes, sometimes government goes overboard with laws and regulations, but, hey, this isn't the Garden of Eden. And, ultimately, We the People can ultimately fire the politicians who have made the bad regulations and hire new ones who are more responsive. At least there's that possibility. (Just try making Verizon or Exxon change because you don't like what THEY'RE doing. People have tried, and it hasn't worked yet.)

Oh, yes, and alcohol: you can thank government regulation that the next bottle of whatever you buy at the liquor store won't poison you with lead residue, blind you (because it's really methanol), or make you really sick (with some adulterant that nobody suspects could be in a drink)--not to mention that it actually contains alcohol, and in the concentration that's listed on the label. (All those things used to happen, and probably still do, in the underground market for potables.)

And has anyone ever heard of somebody busted for keeping illegal bees?

--Constance Warner