I guess I'm just one of those people who thinks everything should last forever.

Well, I agree with you in principle.  Some things DO last "almost
forever."  Or have a service life that is is measured in many decades.

Or even centuries.  Or more.

Computer equipment doesn't tend to be among these things.

I mean, what were the ancient Egyptians, the Mayans, the Stonehenge
guys thinking about?  Planned obsolescence was not part of their
agenda.  They weren't thinking along the lines of next quarter profit
when they built their supercomputers.

Now you can argue that those constructions weren't computers in the
modern sense.  But they were calculating devices, for sure.  And
vast projects, for sure.

I mean, isn't the abacus a perfect laptop?  It has never become obsolete.

It's eminently portable, uses no wall wart, lasts almost forever, and
coupled with a clay tablet offers long term permanent storage of data.

The paperless office, 1000 BC.  Of course humping those clay tablets
around would have been a challenge, and you really had to trust the
guys who made the data backups.

But thise data backups are readable today, in some cases.

Now THATS a warranty!