BTW, if telcos never made money from residential service, how did they pay my dividends for so many years, including 2008?

Residential service is a drop in the revenue bucket (one that
is getting smaller by the day, by the way).  A maintenance or
installation truck roll costs virtually the same whether it's a
$6.00 a month Lifeline subscriber or a $400 a month DS1
subscriber (prices aren't exact and vary by applicable tariff,
which I don't have in front of me at the moment).

It may be true that it is less expensive to provide basic dialtone
in a metropolitan area as opposed to somewhere more rural.

That is usually reflected in state tariffs, but the difference is
often less than you may expect.  I never worked in residential
service provisioning, though, but I do know business rates.

In Pennsylvania, a state I know well, it's currently $50 to hook
up a new line no matter whether it's in Center City Philly or as
in a job I managed a few weeks ago--west of Pittsburgh in a
place that was too out of the way to have a unique name, a
brand new industrial park carved out of a field, let's call it
Yasgur's Farm.

$50 a line.  No cable in place, nothing.  And of course a rush
job in sub freezing temperatures, tying up three linemen, two
trucks, an engineer, a foreman, and a technician for a week,
give or take.  I estimate we'll turn a profit on that job, maybe
in 2015 if the customer makes a LOT of phone calls.

But you can't say no, that's regulated universal service.

But we also ran in a DS1 at the same time and provisioned
fiber conduit.  When they're ready we'll be ready.

We make little if anything on dialtone.  We DO make money
on higher level enterprise optical services, backbone transport,
and anything deregulated or unregulated that we can price at
market rate.

And we do infrastructure better and faster than anybody in
telecom.

That is where your dividends come from.

I'd like to see figures that indicate a loss for dial tone service in metro areas.

Proprietary, but check your annual report.