Whether individual households use this service or not isn't important. The benefits to nonusers from businesses, schools and communities >being more connected, resourceful and efficient will affect them >positively even if they don't use broadband themselves.

Well, that has not been my experience.  The Federal Universal
Service Fund (FUSF) is all ready part of your telephone bill and
it was designed to do exactly what you are proposing.

It relates directly to schools and rural areas.

When you say that it doesn't matter whether individual households
use the service, Betty, that is not a particularly compelling argument.

Either wait until I or someone like me makes it happen for you at
a competitive rate or pay a market rate for the service level you
want.  I'll do it, if you're in my territory.  It will cost you just the
same price as it costs government or enterprise customers.

As fast as you like, for what it costs me to provide it.