Schools are notorious for keeping their equipment much longer.

However here is a twist.

Very often companies will buy new equipment but put legacy OS's on them because their applications or the vendor of their applications are behind the curve in getting their systems to run on the new OS's.

I remember putting in new hardware in a Veterinary Clinic in early 01/02. Vendor of the software insisted on 98SE even though XP was running pretty good by then.

This is not uncommon.

That is why Windows is still overing and will continue to offer and downgrade license for XP/Vista with the new 7. (Although I doubt many will go for the Vista one)

Stewart