I've installed 64 bit Win7 on my own machine at home and one machine
at work. I never do an in-place upgrade, so these technically aren't
"upgrades". However, my comp had Vista and the work comps have all
been XP.

I'm going to try it on an old Dell XP laptop soon, just to see if it
handles any better.

I think you're wrong about businesses. From what I hear, they see Win7
as a sort of Vista SP3. i.e., the OS has now matured enough to use.
Also there's the fact that most newer comps can handle 64 bits (read:
more memory), so they need to be upgraded anyway.