Well that's the difference isn't it?  When a company you already favor, like
apple touts a change you believe in all of it's goodiness...when a company
like Safeway or MS who you believe to already be ripping you off does it,
you take a negative approach.  The cycle is very difficult to break.  I
can't see how it's possible for a company to make improvements, advertise
those improvements and not run into this pitfall in approaching customers
who don't like them already.  Safeway customers now just feel reinforced in
their belief Safeway is the place to be.