The problem is you seem to equate inexpensive with crap.  I don't.  I don't
buy 'crappy' tools, I buy the tools that will do the job, whatever job,
well.  I don't need a 400 dollar hammer because I don't use a hammer to make
my living.  If I already have that hammer, of course I'd use it, but I don't
so I buy one that works for what I need it to work for.

How would I apply this to computers?  Easy.  My mom will never in the course
of the rest of her life ever, never, need more then a few gigs to store
data.  She will also never, ever need a high end graphics card so she can
get better frame rates on Call Of Duty.  She will also never, ever need 16
gigs of ram to edit a film.  Actually, what she does need is something
small..efficient...something that does web browsing, email...perhaps, on
occasion even do red eye removal in a family photo.  Sounds like she may do
very well with a mac mini.  Now this being her choice, being the least
expensive mac, at least by your calculations, be a 'crappy' tool?  This is
how I approach buying a drill, I don't first go after the most expensive
drill there, I look at the job that needs doing, I look at future jobs I may
need to do.  I weigh that against the budget and I buy accordingly.
Inexpensive is not crap, just as expensive doesn't equate to quality.
You'll note also that I never defended crummy tools.  Reading the thread
I've said the same thing throughout...the right tool, for the right job.