The LDS Church might believe in both 1] polygamy and 2] subordination to
legitimate civil authority as religious requirements. Then if these came
into conflict, some resolution would have to be reached, and it might give
precedence to subordination. I take it this is the thrust of Nelson Lund's
suggestion -- as distinguished from the more descriptive Realist  point
that religious authorities might be expected to bow to secular pressures,
and then to bounce back when those pressures eased.

On subordination to civil authority, here's a snippet from a 1987 address
by Dallin Oaks expounding the Mormon doctrine that the U.S. Constitution is
divinely inspired (a doctrine I recall being questioned on when I gave a
talk at BYU Law School some years back.) See
http://saugus.byu.edu/publications/oaks.htm

   U.S. citizens have an inspired Constitution, and therefore, what? Does
   the belief that the U.S. Constitution is divinely inspired affect
   citizens' behavior toward law and government? It should and it does.

   U.S. citizens should follow the First Presidency's counsel to study the
   Constitution.17 They should be familiar with its great fundamentals; the
   separation of powers, the individual guarantees in the Bill of Rights,
   the structure of federalism, the sovereignty of the people, and the
   principles of the rule of the law. They should oppose any infringement
   of these inspired fundamentals.

   They should be law-abiding citizens, supportive of national, state, and
   local governments. The 12th Article of Faith declares:

   "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and
   magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law."

   The Church's official declaration of belief states:

         We believe that governments were instituted of God for the benefit
         of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in
         relation to them. . . .
         We believe that all men are bound to sustain and uphold the
         respective governments in which they reside. (D&C 134:1, 5)

Tom Grey
Stanford Law School
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Frank Cross
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      .EDU>                      cc:
                      Sent by: Discussion        Subject:  Re: "Agenda" and
persecution of Mormons
                      list for con law
                      professors
                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      v.ucla.edu>

                      07/16/2003 07:14 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Discussion list for
                      con law professors

I don't see how one can argue that the LDS church hasn't changed its
religious views on polygamy.  We know that they now excommunicate someone
for engaging in polygamy.

To say that this was just a concession to civil authority is pretty
demeaning to the church, I think, suggesting that they would so greatly
compromise their religious beliefs to this degree to civil authority.
Perhaps they would accept the law as against their beliefs but if those
beliefs are sincere they would not aggressively enforce the law.  The law
certainly didn't require that they excommunicate those who practiced
polygamy.

Also, to Paul Finkelman, how do you compel polygamy?  Do you punish men for
having only one wife?

Frank Cross
Herbert D. Kelleher Centennial Professor of Business Law
CBA 5.202
University of Texas at Austin
Austin, TX 78712