Frank Cross wrote:

However, if the LDS thought that polygamy was religiously compelled and
then, in the face of government opposition, not only agreed to give up
polygamy but also excommunicated those who disagreed, they are going far
beyond the demands of civil society.
I think the LDS take the position that there change was a sincere change in
belief, not merely a compromise with civil authority.

According to my understanding of LDS theology, the president of the LDS
church is not just a leader, but is also revered as a "prophet, seer,
and revelator," uniquely empowered to make the will of God known to the
church.  This includes situations where a revelation from God has
discontinued a former practice of the church.  (Cf. the role of Peter in
the New Testament Church, especially with regard to the revelation
allowing the preaching of the gospel to the gentiles in Acts 10.)  Thus
the current doctrine of the LDS church is determined not by the
historical teachings of the church -- which are still upheld as right
for their time -- but by the current teachings of the church, which are
considered right for the current time.

Thus, as I understand it, the political pressure was probably the
catalyst that caused the president of the church to inquire of God, but
once the revelation was received, the new teaching was based on a
sincere change in belief that God had authorized the new doctrine.