This all began when Jack Balkin opined that is "very unlikely that the
Catholic Church is going to change its
views on homosexuality in the same way that the Mormon church changed
its views on polygamy." This seemed to me to assume that the Mormon
church had changed its religious views about the value of plural
marriages, and I wondered whether that was factually correct.

My hypothesis is simply that the Mormon church made no change in its
religious views, but only decided that it and its members must conform
with American laws against polygamy. If that hypothesis is correct, then
I suppose that if American law stops banning polygamy, the Mormon church
could once again adopt its previous practices, and without ever having
changed its religious views about plural marriage. The documents posted
thus far seem consistent with that hypothesis.

I'm not sure why this factual question about the Mormon church's
official position has generated so much confusion.

Nelson Lund