Looking through old media to figure out what swing positions were common
sounds like fun!  I think video might be more promising?  Here's a few
annotations of a video, where the numbers are timestamps and each bullet
describes the couple that's in the middle of the frame at the timestamp.  I
only counted each couple once:

Cambridge MA, 1990: https://youtu.be/dC0qQYWjdh0?si=JWkNH0g93yo6VWrC
* 3:41: lady's hands behind gent's arms, gent's right hand behind lady's
back, gent's left hand behind lady's arm
* 4:12: outer arms making a point, gent's right hand behind lady's back,
lady's left hand behind gent's shoulder
* 4:14: outer arms making a point, lady's left hand on gent's shoulder,
gent's right hand on lady's back
* 4:44: outer arms making a point held way out, lady's left hand behind
gent's shoulder, gent's right hand on lady's back
* 5:16: outer arms overlapping, inner hands on backs with lady above gent
* 5:17: outer arms making a point held low, gent's inner hand on lady's
back, lady's inner hand behind gent's shoulder
* 5:18: outer arms making a point and held out, gent's inner hand on lady's
back, lady's inner hand behind gent's arm
* 5:48: both lady's hands behind gent's shoulders, gent's left hand behind
lady's elbow, gent's right hand behind lady's back
* 5:49: outer arms making a point, gent's right hand behind lady's back,
lady's left hand behind gent's shoulder
* 5:50: outer arms making a point, gent's right hand behind lady's back,
lady's left hand behind gent's shoulder

The "outer arms making a point, gent's right hand behind lady's back,
lady's left hand behind gent's shoulder" hold, which I think of as the
standard today, was about half of them, but there was quite a lot of
variation.

I tried to do this with a Fitzwilliam 1975
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3v3CmYypBQ> clip, but there were too many
cuts.  The 1964 video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br1MHXietLc> would
be another one to try?

Jeff