On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 06:02, Warly wrote:
> I agree, it is time to change.
> Difference between Mandrake employees or not is nonsense, it should only
> exist one community, like debian one.

That is the best idea I have heard in a LONG time.
It may be hard to change from the current system to a
developer-community based system, but I think everything would work a
lot better after the change.

> I propose to create and contruct MandrakeLinux development on this
> community, with strict rules on who is doing what, and the affected
> tasks for each, and where anyone which is part of the developers
> community have certain power to commit changes.

This is also good.  Often I find I'm working on the same thing as one or
two other people when I could be doing something new and more
productive.

> The difference must be who is a mandrake developer and who is not, and
> forget who is mandrakesoft employee and who is not.

Well right now, volunteers and employees have different attitudes,
different responsibilities, and different resources.  Right now it's
like a four tier system:
Employee-Developer
Volunteer-Developer
Volunteer-Helper (you know, bug reports, beta-testing, cooker trolling)
User

We should stive to create a TWO tier system
Developer
User

The developers should be divided up based solely on TASK.  What are you
working on?  What resources do you need?  How can we let everyone else
know that you are in charge of that task and there are a LOT of other
tasks available to be worked on?

As you said, it works well for Debian.  They don't have 'volunteers',
they have developers.  And it's not because they're not a company.  It's
because from the main decision makers down to the guy who contributes
one .deb file or one piece of documentation, they are all treated
equally and they feel like one team of developers.

> We can also discuss if we need to change the name, as Mandrake is
> likely to have some trouble again because of this copyright on
> Mandrake the magician (NewDrakeLinux? DrakeLinux?)

Well, although I like the name Mandrake, it would make a media splash if
the name was changed.  And if people heard about a debian-like distro,
highly community based, with a corporate back-end, it might attract a
lot of new developers.

It might also make some skeptics more likely to contribute without fear
that the corporation will go under and their work will be lost somehow.

Let's keep talking about this.
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant