Levi Ramsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> And failures, too.  Debian has some of each.
>> How many developers do you see the Mandrake community having?
>
> If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere between 40 and 100, somewhere
> around 20-50% of whom are MandrakeSoft employees.  Don't quote me on
> that, however.  It's a much smaller developer community than Debian

In that case, I humbly offer that Debian's current organization may
not be an optimal model for a Mandrake community, at least not without
a good amount of tweaking.

I have found that in a community of that size, people tend to be able
to know each other reasonably well, and as long as there is a shared
sense of progress, you won't need as much of the organizational
structure that Debian has.  In fact, it would be an imediment.

That's not to say that you should give no thought at all to
structure.  Debian is probably the largest project I know of that has
no formal "core team" or thing of that sort.  All of the *BSDs do, and
the commercial distributions all do (in the form of the company that
produces them).  There can be benefits either way.

 * Debian's approach lets us take better advantage of new talent
   quickly.  It tends to make the project driven by the goals of the
   membership as a whole.

 * The BSD approach places top priority on peer review.  It places
   the responsibility for decision-making about the future of the
   project in the hands of a few.  Developers are expected to either
   participate in that view or find a different project.

I don't think there is a clear way to say which one is better.
Debian's approach lets us accomplish more tasks than the BSD approach
does, but we sometimes lack the consistency of a "benevolent
dictatorial committee" setting the direction of the project.  The
FreeBSD approach lets decisions be made faster, but the execution will
tend to be slower.

One thing you will need is someone to take care of legal affairs, like
receiving donations.  It may be MandrakeSoft, or it may be someone
else.  I don't know about European laws, but here in the US, people
get tax breaks if they contribute to a non-profit.

-- John