From: Jennifer Chambers via Cookinginthedark
[mailto:cookinginthedark@acbradio.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:22 PM
To: cookinginthedark@acbradio.org
Cc: Jennifer Chambers
Subject: Re: [CnD] Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe

Naima,

Since others seem to be upset by the recipes you are sending, please feel free
to send them to me, if you wish.  Most of the ones you have sent are easily
prepared by a blind person, and the ones that are not, I simply delete.

Thanks much.

Jennifer

On 7/19/16, Naima Leigh via Cookinginthedark <cookinginthedark@acbradio.org>
wrote:
> Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe
>

> Prep time: 10 minutes
>

> Cook Time: 1 hour
>

> Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
>

> Serves: 10
>

> Ingredients
>

> 1 whole onion, diced
>

> 4 cloves garlic, minced
>

> 1 whole green bell pepper diced
>

> 2 whole stalks Celery, diced
>

> 4 cups soaked Black-eyes Peas
>

> 5 cups low-sodium (no-sodium) Chicken Broth
>

> 1 whole Ham Hock or ½ lb. bacon, (optional turkey) chopped (optional
> smoked turkey wings)
>

> Salt and pepper to taste
>

> 1 heaping teaspoon Cayenne Seasoning
>

> 1 bay leaf
>

> White or Brown Rice, for Serving
>

> Instructions
>

> 1.       Cook bacon pieces in a large pot over medium-high heat until
> crispy.
>
> 2.       add onion, green pepper, celery to pot and stir.
>
> 3.       Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
>
> 4.       Add in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
>
> 5.       Stir in rinsed beans, then add chicken broth, salt & pepper, and
> cayenne to taste.
>
> 6.       Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pot for 30
> minutes.
>
> 7.       After 30 minutes, check the liquid level; if it’s soupy, cook with
> the lid off for another 15-30 minutes or so.
>
> 8.       If it’s too thick, splash in a little more broth and keep covered
> for another 15-30 minutes.
>
> 9.       Taste for seasonings.
>
> 10.   Add more spice if needed.
>
> 11.   Serve over white or brown rice, making sure to get plenty of the
> cooking liquid Spooned over the top.
>
> 12.   Or, you may mix the bean mixture with the rice before serving (that’s
> what I did).

---