Rick, I am a descendant of the Morrows from Armagh and unlikely to include the Morrows you mention. In your search, I would posit a typo(s) along the line somewhere. Many people at that time were not literate so others wrote down what they thought they heard. Irish accents and regional nuances would add to the confusion and blur the pronunciation.  I've come across some weird mis-spellings. Take for instance, McBirth for McBeth - which was actually McBeath! then Harrow for O'Hara, also McCullough/McUllough/McCulough/McCulagh/McCullagh for the same family, and several others. It makes authentication a little more difficult, but one should always cross-check in any case. Be careful in drawing conclusions, as families tended to cluster in the same area and even name their offspring after a nearby relative, so take care, even some birth dates may be speculative as 1 January was too often used in place of the real date. Baptism and Christening dates are generally reliable. Cheers, Gordon

On 30/07/2018 2:31 AM, Rick Smoll via CoTyroneList wrote:
Hoping for some opinions here:
In the Kilskeery Parish 1826 Tithe Applotment listings, I find an Edward Morrison listed for Loughterush townland. Using the Atavus search engine (Edward Morrison, Loughterush), I first see a record of a birth of Edward Morrison to Edward and Isabella Morrison in 1795. This is exciting. Looking at the search results farther down the page, I find a series of births to an Edward /*Morrow*/ and wife Isabella (in Loughterush), ranging from 1781 to 1789.    Hmmm. Going back to the Kilskeery Tithe Applotment listings, there are three Morrows listed (no Edwards), and none of them are in Loughterush.
I'm wondering: is it likely that there is a transcription error here?
I would greatly appreciate any opinions here.
Thanks!
Rick Smoll
-----Original Message-----
From: Len Swindley via CoTyroneList <cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com>
Cc: Len Swindley <len_swind...@hotmail.com>; Elwyn Soutter <elwynsout...@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Tue, Jul 24, 2018 5:55 am
Subject: Re: [CoTyroneMailingList] Morrisons of Loughterush townland (kilskeery)

Many thanks for your insights, Elwyn
Len Swindley
*From:* CoTyroneList <cotyronelist-boun...@cotyroneireland.com <mailto:boun...@cotyroneireland.com>> on behalf of elwyn soutter via CoTyroneList <cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com <mailto:cotyronelist@cotyroneireland.com>>
*Sent:* Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:32:58 PM
*To:* CoTyroneIreland.com Mailing List
*Cc:* elwyn soutter
Rick,

In the early 1600s, the English & Scottish undertakers (ie big landholders) were required to “Have ready in their houses at all times a convenient store of arms, wherewith they may furnish a competent number of men for their defence, which may be viewed and mustered every half year, according to the manner of England.” We don’t really know to what extent each undertaker actually followed those instructions but where they did the local Muster Rolls could contain a list of every able bodied adult male in the given area. The complete absence of Morrisons in both Fermanagh & Tyrone (save for the 2 in Strabane) would suggest to me they hadn’t arrived in big numbers at that time. There’s 329 of them in the 1901 Fermanagh & Tyrone census. None in Fermanagh in 1630 and just 2 in Tyrone. There were a lot of undertakers estates in those 2 counties. If Morrisons were present in significant numbers then you would expect more to show in the Muster Rolls, even allowing for some estates that didn't keep records.. I agree with Les that we can’t say for certain, but my feeling is they hadn’t arrived in Kilskeery by 1630.
Elwyn