>>> I needed to send faxes with modems located in different cities. And had
>>> only very old computers to handle these modems. And for some reason (do
>>> not remember why) I preffered hylafax over mgetty-fax. So, it was more
>>> simple to use one central mail/fax server with number of modem-handlers
>>> in remote places than to setup network of mail servers what each take
>>> care to handle incoming mail, format conversion and modem.
>>
>> Really special situation - if I only understand it well - you have
>> several
>> modems, in several cities, each of them connect to very old boxes, and
>> you
>> built up a server on another place, sending emails to those old boxes
>> which are sends the real faxes - amazing! but possible.
>
> All true except I do not send mails to these boxes. Instead hylafax has
> protocol for submitting faxes to remote boxes. I use it.

Your choice is better! - mail delivery protocol is quite an information
blackhole. I have choose mgetty, because it is a much more old realization
then Hylafax, and seem to me is quite simple. Small amount of
configuration files, and practically two apps mgetty and sendfax.
Additionally, courier does not use mgetty's spool mechanizm but his own
mail pool is used - faxrunqd start/stop daemon script includes some kind
of timeout about 60 sec(!) - is it quite painfull for UPS.

>> Fortunatelly my situation is quite simple against this :)
>> I need a FAX server to send faxes from an office, where working about 20
>> person with different boxes and OS's on them (Windows, Linux). Also need
>> to get faxes (in 99% of situation) from a so small country such as
>> Hungary.
>
> This is implemented in Lithuania. And according to wikipedia, Hungary is
> bigger :)
>
> Population: hu 10M, lt 3.4M
> Area (sq.km): hu 93k, lt 65k

Yes, that's it! Some years ago one of my clients bought a a multifunction
laser printer/copy/fax from a well known american manufacturer, but from
many "far" places in Hungary they can not receive FAX's, because of the
quality of connection - huge/large/small depend on many factors.