On 07/05/10 15:14, Bernd Wurst wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have noticed a strange behaviour for courier imap. It has occured 2 times
> in
> about 2 weeks, so I have no clue how to get it reproduced.
>
> Courier is set up to allow 200 connections in total and at maximum 50
> connections per IP address.
> Our user accounts are configured (via PAM) to allow a maximum of 300
> processes
> running for each user account.
>
> Now I saw that a user was no longer able to log in (SSH or IMAP) because his
> account was full with imapd-Processes. There were about 300 imapd-Processes
> for his account and no new processes could be created.
>

> According to the courier configuration, this cannot happen as new connections
> should be denied when 200 processes are running (in total). As this single
> user connects only from one IP address, his limit should be triggered much
> earlier.
>
> As I cannot reproduce this and are not sure where to start debugging, I want
> to ask if someone have had a similar problem with courier or if anyone could
> give me a hint where to start debugging.

Hi Berndt,

 I have seen the exact same symptoms and think I've finally found the
cause of the problem. Once in a while netatalk creates an .AppleDouble
file in my maildir. Courier tries to use this as mailfolder but as it
does not have the proper structure the imapd process seems to hang
forever and at the same time looses it's parent process.

So for now deleting the .AppleDouble folder and killing all imapd
processes with a parent process of 1 which was created by the user with
the problem, seems to solve the problem.

This is of course a workaround, and I think courier should fail a little
more gracefully when it encounters bad directories.

Regards
 Kristian Duus Østergaard