Kristian Duus Østergaard writes:

On 07/08/10 23:09, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

If you can find out more information as to what specific IMAP commands
result in the server hanging, in this situation, I'm sure it can be
easily fixed.
I think that either the Mail.App from OSX or the iPhone Mail client
ignores the subscription status and just issues a read of the
.AppleDouble folder, so how can I provide you with a more adequate
description of what goes on ?

I don't know. You'll need to figure it out. There is no cookie-cutter answer, one size fits all. You'll have to have a more detailed look at what's going on, when it does. Things that you will want to look at:

What is the parent process ID of all these processes.

What are they doing (the strace command).

What files they have open, /proc/<pid>/fd on Linux.

What options you've used to build Courier.

Running an strace on the couriertcpd process that's listening on the IMAP port, while performing a test connect and disconnect.