Mark Constable writes:

On 16/08/13 11:18, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
 >> Anders writes: Perhaps IMAP will one day evolve a little :)
 >
 > Overall, IMAP has been withering, and in decline, and I'd be surprised
 > if the trend reverses.

That's fascinating comment Sam, coming from someone who would have a good
feel such a thing. If you get a spare moment would you mind elaborating a
little with some figures or any stats that you may be aware of?

I don't doubt what you say with fb, twitter and g+ soaking up so much
interactive communication, just interested in your perspective about IMAP
in particular.

That.

I don't have any figures or stats. But everywhere I look, I see no signs of life. On Usenet, comp.mail.imap used to carry respectable daily traffic a while ago. It's a ghost town now, maybe a dozen posts a year, for the last 4-5 years, if not longer.

I looked up a few other IMAP-related mailing lists that I know of, earlier this year. Also a pale shadow of their former selves.

I wish I could say otherwise, but that's what it is. The flip side of the coin is that IMAP is a mature protocol. It does its job, and there is no viable replacement for it. As long as there's still a need for a standardized client/server mail system, where either the client or the server component is interchangable, IMAP will still be there. I just don't think there's any opportunity to grow mindshare.