Gordon Messmer writes:

On 08/16/2013 04:25 AM, Manuel Schneider wrote:
> On desktop platforms Thunderbird etc. are still the way to go (Lightning
> can use Tine calendars via WebDAV / CalDAV, the SoGo Connector sync
> Thunderbird addressbooks via WebDAV / CardDAV).

I've started deploying SOGo this year.  I'm pretty happy with it in
general.  I believe that ActiveSync support is available with add-ons.
SOGo natively supports CalDAV and CardDAV.  They're also developing
OpenChange to support Outlook.

Unfortunately, we're not currently able to deploy it with OpenChange
support using Courier IMAP.  "An IMAP server supporting the ACL, UIDPLUS
and QRESYNC IMAP extensions is required."  Right now, they name Dovecot
and Cyrus as supported IMAP servers.  I've been meaning to ask, Sam, how
much effort do you think would be required for QRESYNC?

QRESYNC requires CONDSTORE to be implemented first.

CONDSTORE is completely antithetical to scalable maildirs. For CONDSTORE, a server must obtain an exclusive lock on the entire mailbox, in order to implement that extension. Easy enough if you're implementing your own private mail format, that lives in its own fiefdom, that you don't have to support over the network. It's a different story if its a maildir on a shared filesystem, when you don't have an easy way of blocking another IMAP process, running on some other server on the network, from modifying the mailbox.

CONDSTORE pretty much requires an IMAP server-specific mailbox, that an IMAP server can lock exclusively. Can't really think of a good way to do it with maildirs, just yet.