Am 16.08.2013 12:58, schrieb Sam Varshavchik:
> As far as smartphones, the elephant in the room is Android, and
> Android's gmail client uses who knows what to talk to Google. But
> whatever it does, it's damn good about it. I think there's a standard
> mail client somewhere on my phone, that can talk to a generic IMAP
> server, but I never used it. I'm guessing that this is typical of Android.
>
> On Iphones, I think that Apple's mail client is a standard IMAP/POP3
> client, but, once again purely based on nothing more than an impression,
> Android's winning that battle.

My newer experience with mail on Smartphones changed. In the past IMAP
was the standard to go outside corporate environments, with bad and
worse IMAP clients seen on several mobile platforms.
Android and iPhones are not too bad at IMAP, Nokia (Symbian) was quite
limited, not to talk about Windows Phones.

The new way to go (IMHO) is to use an Exchange / ActiveSync interface.
People are used to sync contacts and calendars along with their mail.

Solutions such as Tine 2.0 come in quite handy, Tine is purely
LAMP-based and runs on a standard shared webhost, no shell access or
server support needed. It is a groupware including a standard IMAP
client but it also provides - through URL rewrite rules and PHP -
interfaces to WebDAV and ActiveSync. I use it since several months and
it works great.
It really made using GNU/Linux and Courier MTA really easy with Smartphones.

On desktop platforms Thunderbird etc. are still the way to go (Lightning
can use Tine calendars via WebDAV / CalDAV, the SoGo Connector sync
Thunderbird addressbooks via WebDAV / CardDAV).

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch