Alessandro Vesely writes:

On Fri 16/Aug/2013 04:55:10 +0200 Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-15 at 22:04 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>> I wish I could say otherwise, but that's what it is. The flip side of the
>> coin is that IMAP is a mature protocol. It does its job, and there is no
>> viable replacement for it.

Smartphones use IMAP, and I think much of the lemonade RFCs, e.g. BURL
(RFC 4468 of May 2006), can still be considered "new IMAP stuff".  That
hadn't raised OMA's karma, though.

As far as smartphones, the elephant in the room is Android, and Android's gmail client uses who knows what to talk to Google. But whatever it does, it's damn good about it. I think there's a standard mail client somewhere on my phone, that can talk to a generic IMAP server, but I never used it. I'm guessing that this is typical of Android.

On Iphones, I think that Apple's mail client is a standard IMAP/POP3 client, but, once again purely based on nothing more than an impression, Android's winning that battle.