Lindsay Haisley writes:

I'm really distressed to hear this.  I run a small mail hosting service
and recommend IMAP to my customers over POP3 all the time.  My server's
spam management system relies on special IMAP mail folders which are
dumped into or routed out of SpamAssassin with various designations, and
the system would be crippled without it.

Eh, don't panic. Nothing's going to change that.

I consider IMAP to be superior to POP3 on several counts, not the least
of which is that my POP3 customers, through improper setting of their
mail clients' POP3 configs, often end up with many megabytes of
invisible old mail which progressively slows down their mail retrieval
when it builds up.  With IMAP, what you see is what you have.

Nobody has said POP3 is better than IMAP. POP3's in the same boat.

Nobody has said that IMAP's going away either. It's just has as much mindshare right now as it will ever have. Who knows, things can certainly change, perhaps.

I'm actually quite impressed that this list still has over 800 subscribers. There are still a lot of people here.

Oh well, I'm just an old geezer, 72 years old, who got to working with
the Internet back in the early 90s.  I appreciate the simplicity,
flexibility and security of the old, mature mail protocols.  I probably
won't be doing this too much longer.

My own folks are retired, too. They're enjoying it immensely. Mark my words, you'll get to enjoy it too.