Mark Constable writes:

On 16/08/13 12:04, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> I wish I could say otherwise, but that's what it is. The flip side of the
 > coin is that IMAP is a mature protocol. It does its job, and there is no
> viable replacement for it. As long as there's still a need for a standardized
 > client/server mail system, where either the client or the server component
> is interchangable, IMAP will still be there. I just don't think there's any
 > opportunity to grow mindshare.

So would you say the same thing about email in general or is it just IMAP?

+1 for maturity.

I've heard about the imminent death of email in general from various social
media tarts/advocates for years but, ironically, an email address is still
standard fare for end user Authorization, and business that require any kind
of official end to end communication still require email, and most of that
pickup is via IMAP.

Thanks for your comments Sam.

Email's not going to go anywhere. Email's here to stay.