On 05/02/16 19:19, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
>> A couple of more points, apache with libapache2-mod-php requires
>> the slower pre-forking version of apache and because that module is
>> always loaded for every access
>
> is it? iiuc it's only loaded on apache reload... (unless you tune
> MaxRequestsPerChild/2.2 or MaxConnectionsPerChild/2.4)

I meant the entire libapache2-mod-php module is loaded into ram for
every access to every file no matter if it's a non-php static file
or a php file. Each apache process (+ mod-php) is from 20Mb to 100Mb
regardless of whether it's about to parse a PHP script or not. A nginx
instance is about ~9Mb and delivers a static file up to twice as fast
as apache with mod-php (according to ab testing I did 1/2 dozen years
ago).

I find php-fpm usually runs at 3Mb to 30Mb but sometimes up to 100Mb
for Wordpress with massively complex themes and plugins. So nginx +
php-fpm generally uses less ram than apache + mod-php for PHP scripts
but up to 10 times less ram for static files (css, js, images) and
static files (until cached) far outnumber PHP script access.