You were right, at least to an extent. I assumed I could build the package on one system, then use it on another the way I can with most other packages. (You're supposed to be able to) Well, this one hard codes uids and such (Courier needs that obviously). That isn't really a problem, except that it does this at build time using the UID/GID setup on your build system. Since those didn't match the vps I was trying to use Courier on, you can guess what happened. I had to strace courierd to find it, but find it I did when I saw that hard linking was failing. I checked, and it was using the absolute wrong account for queue ownership and the like. Oops.
Joe
Joe