At Workantile it took us a while to get what we say during tours perfected,
but we have learned to tell people right off the bat that we are membership
organization of independent and remote workers, and then go on to explain
the social and community aspects of Workantile. if someone says the word
"rent", we cut them off almost immediately because that word is a clue that
the don't quite get what it is. Our retention rate has improved
significantly since we started explaining what Workantile is correctly
right off the bat, because people looking for something else don't join.

One of the concepts my colleague Trek Glowacki emphasizes is "social
capital" and "social debt". You accumulate social capital by contributing
to the community and social debt by detracting from it. If your social debt
exceeds your social capital, you are probably not worth retaining as a
member. Most of our members have built up huge amounts of social capital,
so we are in a good place there.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Angel Kwiatkowski <fccowork...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm such a huge fan of letting members do the implementing when they
> have ideas that go beyond basic infrastructure. Here are some recent
> things they've asked me and my responses...
> "we want to do a swap meet at Cohere, is that okay with you?"
> ----"yes, I love it, just reserve the conference room for the date/
> time you want to do it"
> "we think it would be neat to have 4 community bikes that people could
> check out"----"me too, go for it!"
> "I really want a towel rack in the new bathroom"----"I will install
> that today"
>
> :)
>
> On Jan 26, 4:07 pm, Susan Evans <su...@officenomads.com> wrote:
> > That guy sounds like he'd make an *awesome* community cultivator at the
> > coworking space he opens up. I hope he gets inspired to build something
> > better!*
> >
> > *that is my favorite part about the simplicity and fluidity of coworking.
> > Can't find a space that suits you? Create your own, or get yer Jelly on!
> > __
> > Office Nomads
> > officenomads.com
> > 206-484-5859

> serve
> > > me?"
> >
> > > [Tiny Tower analogy redacted]
> >
> > > Bingo, the challenge is how to set expectations differently for the
> next
> > > people who walk in the door. Is it a matter of some people just being
> a bad
> > > fit, or an opportunity to improve the onboarding process?

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.
> >
> > > --

twb
member, Workantile Exchange <http://workantileexchange.com/>