http://www.theguardian.com/news/2013/nov/18/open-plan-offices-bad-harvard-business-review

Putting this out there because I suspect what gets posted is generally
filtered toward the "coworking positive".

While cubicles are the worst, this article is about shortcomings of
open-plan offices more generally.

Putting aside the obvious fact that even if open-plan offices aren't for
everyone, they're certainly preferred by many of us, my existing bias has
been that most independent workers would do better (in terms of
psychological health as well as productivity and work quality) over the
long run in a social work environment than in a private/enclosed office.
But articles like this make me wonder if that really is just my own bias.

Most of the findings suggested are contrary to what I would expect for
independent workers, and I wonder how much the results here may be
contingent on working in an organization (where being in an open plan
office also corresponds to being lower in the work hierarchy and where many
of the people you're working alongside are implicit competitors).

Thoughts? Where does this article go wrong (other than suggesting one size
fits all)? Does it suggest that ideal coworking space design would work
include ample opportunities for more private work and more isolated
collaboration?

Will