1) if you're good for everyone, you're great for no-one.

2) earlier this year, noise levels came up as an opportunity for improving Indy
Hall during one of our own internal research projects.

Curious for more details, I followed up with a subsequent line of questions:
where so you believe the noise is coming from? Is it people on their phones,
people talking to each other at their desks, people talking to each other in
nearby common areas, or something else entirely?

The results of that question were evenly spread across the options (ha!) but
the real answer emerged: WAY more people than had mentioned noise issues spoke
up and said "Please don't make Indy Hall more quiet. I come here for the noise.
I love that buzz. I can't get it anywhere else. If I wanted silence, I'd stay
at home or go to the library."

3) I've worked on several projects now re: open floor plan implementations in
corporate settings. Every time it looks like this:

* company spends a boatload of money on design, architects, and furniture

* everybody hates it, rebellion, etc (not unlike the article)

* Alex's phone rings, "why isn't this working?"

My first question is, "well what did you change?" The answer is ALWAYS
environment. It's NEVER anything related to culture, management or
communication.

That's the problem. The environment needs to match the culture, the management,
and the communication.

Two concrete examples:

A) manager cites that she likes the flexibility of choosing different areas to
work, but...there's a new problem. "I never know where my team is. I spend half
of my day hunting them down."

The communication and leadership techniques were never given to the team on how
to effectively check in and report to each other. It's not so much about
"flatness" but a "network" style of communication rather than a hub and spoke
style.

B) employees hate the open floor plan. Cite all sorts of things like in the
article. So I start to dig into the specifics.

A common pattern emerges: trust. People don't like having people able to walk
by and see what they're doing. They feel like their manager is hovering more
(which she may or may not be - the point is the feeling). "Someone's always
looking for a way to get a leg up, or take credit."

Again, a culture issue. Zero work is being done by management or staff to build
or reinforce trust in the workplace, or worse, they actively do things to chip
away at trust (this is a huge systemic issue that repeats across basically
every project I've worked on).

Without trust, "open" isn't possible. And  that goes far beyond floor plans.

That's just a sampling of my own research. I, too, have had my personal biases
challenged a lot during this work, but continue to discover that the root
problems are consistent - and have VERY LITTLE to do with space design (a few
exceptions, I could talk about those another time). The issues are nearly 100%
caused by pre-existing cultural problems that the space exacerbated, and/or a
very poor approach to cultural "change management" to get it in line with the
new space long before the millions are spent on furniture.

/ah
indyhall.org
betterwork.co

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 4:56 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace