When we asked members of coworking spaces in our surveys what bothered them
the most, the biggest problem was the noise, a range of 15% and 20%.
However, the noise has almost NO negative impact on the popularity of a
coworking space. When asking members how much they like their coworking
spaces, there was almost no difference between members who have or or don't
have a problem with noise. A membership is rather cancelled when a person
doesn't like other people at a coworking space. That's an option which most
of employees don't have, no wonder why they would prefer a private office
in this case. It's a point which was not a part of the discussed research.

At betahaus, where we work, the operators once created a silent room as
reaction to noise problems. As result, they were less people who worked at
this part of betahaus. This room was quite big, probably too big. The
operators re-arranged this room again, this time by setting up a normal
open space surrounded by some team offices, mainly for those who work for
customer support.

Btw, there is also a big difference between the sound of a sea, and a
jackhammer nearby. Regular noise on a low level is usually less disturbing.