The hyphenation battle is a tough one to win because of the AP stylebook
challenge. I find I'm encountering camel-case more often though, and
usually on city/county documents where they don't duplicate form data the
same way I've entered it. CoWork is fairly annoying, particularly when it's
part of our name (Cowork Frederick), but when they give us the
double-whammy and make us Co-Work Frederick, I start to think they're just
doing it to mess with me. It reminds me of a comedy video about Starbucks
baristas deliberately misspelling names on the cups.

---
Glen Ferguson
Cowork Frederick
122 E Patrick St
Frederick, MD 21701-5630
+1 (301) 732-5165
www.coworkfrederick.com


On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM, Tony Bacigalupo <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> they did not hyphenate "Coworking Visa" as that is a name of a program but
>> they did hyphenate the word everywhere else in the article.
>
>
> This illustrates the issue perfectly. If Brad had invented something that
> sounded more proprietary, like "Bradworking," then there'd be no issue. But
> by calling it something so simple that anyone who saw it could immediately
> understand what it was, he made something that could more easily blossom
> into a global movement.
>
> The fact that neither he nor anyone else retained control over the word
> further allowed for that blossoming, but at a cost. If there's no authority
> on the word, issues like this become difficult to overcome.
>
> The only way I could see us making headway would be if some subset of us
> formed a sufficiently powerful coalition that could wield some kind of
> authority over the word, without violating the decentralized spirit of the
> movement.
>
>
>
>
>
> *--- + Personal: twitter <http://twitter.com/tonybgoode> • fb
> <http://facebook.com/tonybacigalupo> • linkedin
> <https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonybacigalupo>+ Projects: NWC
> <http://nwc.co/> • Bossless <http://bossless.co/> • Meetup
> <http://meetup.com/coworking-nyc> • NYTM <http://nytm.org/>+ Recent
> posts: Quarantining new ideas for monthly review
> <http://happymonster.co/2014/08/20/quarantining-new-ideas-for-monthly-review/>
>  • Routine
> challenges <http://happymonster.co/2014/08/14/routine-challenges/> • Act IV
> <http://happymonster.co/2014/08/08/act-iv/>*
> *+ Currently reading: Nonviolent Communication <http://amzn.to/1sBVeoR> •
> Passages <http://amzn.to/1p8rNai> • Work <http://amzn.to/1utpc0l>*
> *+ Travel plans: NYC now-9/11 • Boulder 9/11-9/18 • Seattle 9/18-23 • NYC
> 9/24-Mid-October+ Help: I'm looking for a fab 1BR in south Brooklyn. Let me
> know if you have any leads!+ Upcoming: IndieCon NYC 2014 & NWC's sixth
> anniversary party. <http://indiecon2.eventbrite.com> Join!*
>
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM, Jacob Sayles <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I haven't heard any movement on it but I'd love to see us take another
>> stab at it.  Lauren, our newest employee, had some great ideas on what we
>> could do to grease the skids for the AP but she's only worked here one week
>> so she may need some time to settle in.  :)
>>
>> Sometimes you just have to let it go.  For the NYTimes article on the
>> Coworking Visa recently I went to bat just like you did and got a similar
>> response.  Funny though they did not hyphenate "Coworking Visa" as that is
>> a name of a program but they did hyphenate the word everywhere else in the
>> article.
>>
>> Jacob
>>
>> ---
>> Office Nomads - Individuality without Isolation
>> http://www.officenomads.com -  (206) 323-6500
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 10:09 PM, [email protected] <
>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> There hasn't been any movement on this in 3 years. Anyone have an
>>> update? Liz? Alex? Tony? Jacob? Anybody?
>>>
>>> I had no idea how bad this issue was.
>>>
>>> I encountered this today with some press being written on Fort Work in
>>> the Dallas media today.
>>>
>>> When I saw the article posted, I saw a few misquotes about coworking
>>> statistics as well as the misspelling of coworking  (hyphen included, not
>>> the cowering autocorrect).
>>>
>>> When I requested that both be corrected, the writer told me she could
>>> change (or omit) the quotes, but that AP style guides forbid her from
>>> changing the spelling of coworking.
>>>
>>> Here's her actual response (C+P'ed below):
>>>
>>> Hi Oren,
>>>
>>> I’ll take a look at the microsite — thank you! I’ll also rework your
>>> quote, or take it out entirely to make to correct the statement.
>>>
>>> On the word co-working, this is an AP style that’s out of our control.
>>> Again, I’ll take a look at the details first thing in the morning and will
>>> make the changes immediately.
>>>
>>> Thank for the email. I really appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Take care,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Thursday, September 1, 2011 4:29:20 AM UTC-5, [email protected]
>>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Hi everyone,
>>>>
>>>> For a while now we've been annoyed about the resurgence in the use of
>>>> the hyphenated version of the word coworking. As you all know, most
>>>> major media outlets these days write it as co-working.
>>>> Deskmag recently published an article explaining why this is
>>>> happening: it's because the AP Stylebook has decided that co-working
>>>> is the correct form.
>>>> However, we'd like to ask for your assistance in helping AP change
>>>> their minds! We've put out a call for people to bombard AP with the
>>>> following tweet:
>>>>
>>>> @APStylebook #Coworking is not Co-working. It’s an independent
>>>> movement that doesn’t want to be separated by a hyphen!
>>>>
>>>> For a backgrounder on why we think the word should be without a
>>>> hyphen, have a read of the article: http://www.deskmag.com/en/
>>>> coworking-or-co-working-with-hyphen-252
>>>>
>>>> What do you all think? I know this is an old issue, but it's important
>>>> to get the name right, right?
>>>>
>>>> Sophie
>>>> Deskmag/Deskwanted
>>>
>>>  --
>>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>>> ---
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>> Groups "Coworking" group.
>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>>> an email to [email protected].
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>>
>>
>>  --
>> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
>> ---
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>> "Coworking" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to [email protected].
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>
>  --
> Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Coworking" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to [email protected].
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>

-- 
Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Coworking" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to