Hi, Kevin!

I like joint ventures very well, I run a network of 6 spaces all but one of
which are joint ventures of various types.  The one I own so I never had
any landlord problems with it. :-)

I think they are a good way to do business when done well.  You have been
doing very well! Um, right up to the part where it was time to close the
deal which is not at all uncommon.  We are not born knowing how to think
about this stuff.

I think you are selling yourself and your nascent community too cheaply and
overvaluing what they are offering.  Here's the thing:  you value what they
have because you do not have it.  Your job now is to cause them to value
what you have because they do not have it.

*A joint venture works only if everyone is valued.  Also you and your
community.*

Begin as you mean to go on, my mother told me when I was dating.  This
means you do not start off on one foot (slanted in their direction) and
then shift as you go.  It means you start off as people working together
and you stay that way. Much easier for everybody.

Let's think out of the box a little bit.

Why do you want a lease agreement at all?

Why not have a joint venture with the building owner? They let you use the
space on the following terms, blah blah blah.  You exploit the space on the
following terms, blah blah blah.  You pay these costs, they pay those
costs. You keep the books in x program and they have collaborator access to
the books.  You maintain your community in this way and they have/do not
have access to the CMS. You split the income like this. They give you
permission to sublet to your coworkers and give you a Power of Attorney to
sign contracts to that effect.

Just for example.  Where the boundaries are varies greatly from space to
space I have found, I have one location where the owner opens the door and
that's pretty much all they do, I have another where they do nearly all of
it but the administration.  And everything in between.

If liability is a concern you can still set up an LLC for your side of the
agreement.  You probably should

My approach is pretty radical, my contract is for example terminable on 30
day notice.  But I figure if we are not happy together what's the point of
dragging it out? And it does give us all great motivation to work together
and keep each other happy.

Anyway, how you do it depends on you and on them.  But I really do urge you
to not sell yourself and your community short.  They have what you don't
and you have what they don't. Sounds like a win-win to me.