Dear all,

I agree with the concerns about modeling the activity of learning a language as
a substitute for the ability to communicate in a language.  On paper I have a
Ph.D. in French, so surely I’m fluent? Far far from it, as you doubtless noted
in Paris 😊  I also agree that modeling as a Group is problematic for the same
reason as modeling gender as a Group – the requirement for concerted action.
Finally, I agree with Franco’s concern about the narrowness of the scope to
only Language. We also have information about the skills and knowledge of
individuals or groups such as Techniques employed.

I would not want to model a complete skills management HR system (or video
game!), but having some pattern for expressing relevant, observed abilities
would be valuable for searching. Use cases would include:

  *   Search for Human Made Objects (HMOs) not classified as Paintings, that
were produced by an actor that is known for their ability in a painting
technique.  (e.g. drawings by Van Gogh)
  *   Search for HMOs that carry a text in a language that is not known by the
owner of the object (e.g. manuscript in latin owned by someone not known to
speak latin)
  *   Search for possible attributions for a text in a known language,
filtering for people known to speak that language.

In terms of solutions, we might consider:

  *   A super-class for Group (Set?) that allows non-Persons to be aggregated,
and does not have the intentionality of action requirement.
     *   This would enable further modeling patterns, beyond Group and Curated
Holding.
  *   A property similar to George’s suggestion that has E55 Type as its range
to include Technique or other types.
     *   This would enable more specific recording of skills of an Actor
without implying any particular event
  *   A broad usage / known for activity without times more precise than the
life dates of the actor that encompasses all uses of the language.
     *   This would enable adding timespans when known, and perhaps be a
pattern for other similar information such as when a person is known as an
author, but is also a painter

We are also modeling our archives at the moment using CRM – it would be very
interesting to compare the results, as there are several issues that we do not
have a solution for that we are particularly happy with.  The major area of
concern is the association of properties not at the item level, but at the
aggregate level meaning that some members of the set have this property. When
this can be expressed as data rather than just descriptive text, we are worried
about the false precision. The collections include both digital and physical
objects, which compounds the issue.

Rob