Steve,

something for your breakfast tomorrow morning.

“Knowing” a language is not the same as “using” it. The case started from
documentation stating that somebody knows a language, but not reporting any
use, which is just potential but not necessarily actual. For example, I know
Latin pretty well, but I have very few - if any - opportunities of using it; on
the contrary, I do not know Japanese but sometimes say “sayonara” and “arigato”
appropriately. In these Portuguese archives I would be correctly recorded as
“Latin speaker” but not as “Japanese speaker”.
Your solution instead refers to “using" the language as implied by P16 and
would state exactly the opposite.

I share with you the hate for negative searches, for the reasons you clearly
explain.

Bene valeas placideque quiescas, Stephane (*)

Francus

(*) in order to enable you in using P16 for my knowledge of Latin

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence
Scientific Coordinator
ARIADNEplus - PARTHENOS

Editor-in-Chief
ACM Journal of Computing and Cultural Heritage (JOCCH)

Piazza Ciardi 25
59100 Prato, Italy