On 2/2/2022 10:36 PM, Francesco Beretta via Crm-sig wrote:

Dear Martin,

Thank you for your message and comments.

The sentence in question is not the happiest, and George and myself were not totally satisfied with the wording but it was necessary to send the homework to the SIG. We can of course reword it and a refomulation that is certainly also not the best one but expresses the same sense could be:

" For facts which are established by convention as opposed to facts observed in an objective manner

sure, should be something like the material process characterizing the events,

Take an exemple. I organize a garden party and all my friends and guests are happy. But there’s a major difference if I do this privately in 2019 or if I’m a prime minister and there’s a COVID pandemic and I just imposed restrictive measures on the whole population of my country. The [objective / spatio-temporal] observed fact is the same, a crm:E5 garden party, but the social ‘facts’ arount it —my social function, the law establishing that garden parties are not allowed, etc. etc.— add a social overlay to the event which —for humans living in society— changes everything and has totally different consequences. CRMbase is concerned with objective spatio-temporal facts (from E4 Period downward this is the substance of facts : “This class comprises sets of coherent phenomena or cultural manifestations occurring *in time **and space*.”)

On the other hand, social facts are situated in another space that could be called the intentional-temporal, that is to say, the space of phenomena specific to human societies observed through the filter of their conventions or collective representations. There is no opposition but a perfect articulation because the social is grafted onto the spatio-temporal (or the physical and biological) but adding an overlay that allows different groups of humans to interpret the same ‘objective’ fact as being two quite different situations: a totally normal and a big problem.

But I propose to discuss all this, as you proposed earlier, in person at a live, even if digital, meeting.

Best

Francesco