On 2/4/2022 11:30 AM, George Bruseker wrote:
Following on this helpful new iteration of the thought by Martin maybe a phrasing like 'in distinction to facts established directly through / at the level  of material physical processes and interactions' is more expressive of the content/intent?
I think this is much better!.

For me a socially constructed fact is a fact that does not correspond to material interactions, but is based on propositional objects a certain community maintains in an explicit form, typically codified. It is real in the sense that the communication of the information is (must be) observable, and people materially react or are forced by members of the community to react in a specific way in applicable situations. I use to connect the foreseen reactions to activity plans.

It is further important to be very precise and differentiated about the subgroups or individuals formulating, adhering to, accepting, tolerating or enforcing such institutions and the supporting evidence. Even statements about majorities doing anything of this kind in a certain community should not be confused with representing a communities institutions. I think the text should reflect that.

I think  the text should be more clear about the sense of "fact" used, and the modelling work should clearly differentiate particulars "I am married", "getting married" from the institution of "marriage" and a particular definition of "marriage" instituted. I believe that thinking of any of them being out of space or/and time and detached from the individuals supporting it will create a completely different sense for the link to evidence, basically not comparable. I'd also like to refer to Kant's opinion about the role of space and time in cognition.

I think since evidence in social sciences is much debated and normally statistically justified, well known criticism in the application and validity of statistical reasoning should be taken into account by some form of differentiated position.

Finally, if using conceptual "standards" from particular disciplinary schools, even from a whole discipline, is intended, I'd expect serious considerations about the cultural bias this introduces.

All the best,

Martin