On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:04:34 +0200 Faré <fah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One thing that irks me, though, is the problem of the robust, secure
> terminal: if everything is encrypted, how does one survive the
> loss/theft/destruction of a computer or harddrive?

So, as has been discussed, I envision people having small cheap
machines at home that act as their "cloud", and the system prompting
them to pick a friend to share encrypted backups with.

Inevitably this means that said backups are going to either be
protected by a fairly weak password or that the user is going to have
to print the key out and put it in their desk drawer and risk having
it lost or stolen or destroyed in a fire.

I think I can live with either problem. Right now, most people
have very little protection at all. I think making the perfect the
enemy of the good is a mistake. If doing bad things to me requires
breaking in to my individual home, that's fine. If it is merely much
less likely that I lose my data rather than certain that I have no
backup at all, that's fine.

BTW, automation *does* do a good job of making such things invisible.
I haven't lost any real data since I started using Time Machine from
Apple, and I have non-technical friends who use it and are totally
happy with the results. I wish there was an automated thing in Time
Machine to let me trade backups with an offsite friend as well.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                pe...@piermont.com